Sharjah can be best described as a city with the right blend of modernity and tradition. Calmer and quieter than its counterparts Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Sharjah is very family-friendly and welcoming to tourists.
Many travel companies offer a full-day Sharjah tour along with a tour guide and pick/drop facility. These will take you through the main tourist attractions in Sharjah like the Al Noor Mosque and the Al Arsa Souk. However, if you wish to explore the city at a gentler pace, skip the guided tour and plan your own travel itinerary with these seven must-see attractions in Sharjah:
- 1. Adventure Land Nestled within the Sahara Centre shopping mall in Sharjah, it is a popular entertainment centre for families. There is a kids play area, simulator games, roller coasters, moto-coaster, go-karts, and water rides. A small tip – carry your own drinks/water and napkins.
- 2. Sharjah Aquarium Established in 2006, the aquarium is worth visiting with kids. The spacious area displays Sharjah’s underwater creatures and the see-through tunnel is its biggest highlight. A trip to this aquarium would be educational for the kids as well since visitors get a free lesson on Sharjah’s historic coasts and ports while learning the importance of preserving our marine environment. You also gain access to the adjacent Maritime Museum with the Aquarium ticket.
- 3. Al Majaz Park It is a beautiful waterfront garden with green lawns, fountains, children’s play areas, and some great restaurants. Some of the main attractions include the Sharjah Fountain, Mini Splash Park, Mini Golf, Maraya Art Park, and the Family Train. Spend a lazy afternoon exploring the park with your family.
- 4. The Sharjah Heritage Area To experience the real culture of Sharjah, take your family to the Heritage Area. It consists of two areas: Al Sheyoukh and Al Maraija, which are home to many famous museums, local markets, forts and heritage houses. A few that you can visit are the Sharjah Heritage Museum, Souq Al Arsa, Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization, Al Midfaa House and the Sharjah Calligraphy Museum.
- 5. Dune bashing and Quad biking Families that love adventure should sign up for a dune bashing and quad biking ride through the deserts of Sharjah. You would find a host of travel companies that provide quad bikes on rent along with all the requisite safety gear.
- 6. Road trip to Umm Al Quwain and Rafaq Village The smooth and wide roads of the UAE make it the perfect place for a road trip. What you need is a spacious sedan, which can be easily booked through a reputed car rentals company like Hertz. Head out to unexplored places such as Umm Al Quwain and Rafaq Village from Shhharjah to unwind peacefully with your family.
- 7. Arabian Wildlife Centre The Sharjah Natural History Museum is situated right next to the wildlife centre so that families can spend the entire day learning about animals and the natural history of the UAE.