Home to interesting museums, unique cafes, and traditional souqs, Sharjah is the perfect family holiday destination.
The Emirate is culturally one of the most significant emirates in the UAE and known as the ‘Cultural Capital of the Arab World’ and the ‘Capital of Islamic Culture’. Do not miss out on the following attractions, festivals, eating joints, adventure activities and marketplaces when you visit Sharjah with your family:
- 1. Sharjah Arts Museum: True to its name as the ‘Cultural Capital of the Arab World’, Sharjah is home to the largest museum of arts in the country.
- 2. Khalid Lagoon: A visit to Khalid Lagoon is a must when in Sharjah as it is home to the third tallest fountain in the world.
- 3. The Sharjah Heritage Area: The Sharjah Heritage Area consists of places of utmost cultural and historical importance within the city. Some of these include the Al Midfaa House, The Sharjah Heritage Museum, Al Hisn Sharjah, Souk Al Arsah, and the Hisn Fort Bait.
- 4. Sharjah Lights Festival: Sharjah Lights Festival is the time of the year when the city of Sharjah is at its vibrant best. The nine-day festival is held in the month of February.
- 5. Sharjah International Book Fair: This International Book Fair in held annually in November to promote Arabian and World literature.
- 6. Sharjah Dhow Restaurant: The Sharjah Dhow Restaurant promises you a unique dining experience on a boat/dhow. Order a grilled platter and hummus to enjoy regional flavors.
- 7. Aroos Damascus Restaurant: Aroos Damascus Restaurant in Sharjah offers you the best Arabian cuisine at reasonable prices. Must try dishes include Syrian delicacies such as the fattoush salad, tabbouleh, mishwe, moutabel, and stuffed vine leaves.
- 8. Katis: Katis in Sharjah is famous for its Kati Rolls and steamed momos. The delicacy of the dishes and the cozy ambience of the restaurant promises to stay with you.
- 9. Dune bashing: Dune bashing in the deserts of Sharjah promises you the experience of a lifetime.
- 10. Wadi Trips: Sharjah is home to a number of dry river beds or wadis. Camping overnight with family near one them is a must when in the city.
- 11. Water Skiing: Sharjah hosts a water festivals every year during the month of December. It is the ideal time to visit the city with family to enjoy water based adventure sports.
- 12. Blue Souq: Located by the Al Ittihad Square, the Blue Souq in Sharjah is named after the color of its tiles. This beautiful marketplace is also known as the Central Market or the Gold Souq.
- 13. The Sahara Mall: Located on the outskirts of Sharjah, the Sahara Mall is a short drive away from the city center. Car rental in Sharjah is an easy affair, allowing you to drive your way through the city at your own pace. If you have a reader in the family, the book gallery at the mall is the perfect place to spend a few quiet hours.