Radisson SAS Hotel
Dubai is known for its car culture, whether it’s beautiful vintage vehicles or fast and shiny supercars. There’s a wealth of car-related events and attractions for you to take in during your stay. The Dubai Motor Festival, the Dubai Motor Show and the Emirates Classic Car Festival are all major events in the Dubai calendar and your chance to see a variety of luxury and high tech cars.
It’s well worth checking if your visit coincides with any of them so you can make time to attend. If you’re visiting at another time, you could always check out the Emirates National Auto Museum, where the personal collection of Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan can be viewed. This can be found on the road between Abu Dhabi and the Liwa desert. Closer to Dubai itself is the Sharjah Classic Car Museum, where you can view vintage cars, motorbikes, and bicycles.
If you want to take some time out from Dubai Media City, you can take the E11 route to explore the UAE’s coastline, heading up to Sharjah, or down to Abu Dhabi and a variety of small towns and villages looking out on to the Persian Gulf.
• Minimum car rental age: Depending on vehicle group, you must be either 21 or 25 to rent a car in Dubai Media City. There is no age differential charge to reduce this.
• Correct side of the road: In Dubai Media City, as in the rest of the UAE, you drive on the right-hand side of the road and overtake on the left.
• Speed limits: Speed limits vary across Dubai as they do across the UAE. Main roads range between 100km/h and 140km/h, while in built-up areas this reduces to 80km/h. This is usually reduced further in particularly busy areas.
• Driving with children: No child under 12 can ride in the front passenger seat without an appropriate rear-facing car seat and the airbag disabled. Children in the rear passenger seats must use appropriate car seats and seat belts.
• Toll roads: All Hertz vehicles are fitted with a Salik tag which will register each time you use a toll road. On returning your vehicle, you will be given a breakdown of this and be charged accordingly.